10.19.2006

An Episcopalian Pantheistic Quaker

Sorry I haven't been able to post with the regularity of last month. This month's teaching schedule has been busy, and I'm trying to finish my PhD dissertation. But, my love affair with Blogger continues....

I think I've said somewhere before that I am addicted to labels, despite my postmodern midset. I suppose it's a leftover trait from my fundamentalist, evanglical days. I've been thinking lately about what label to apply to myself. I'm sure some readers of this blog would be more than happy to jump in with "heretic" or "pagan", and they might not be too far off the mark~

There are three traditions that really appeal to me, though traditionally they have been at some odds: Episcopalianism, Pantheism, and Quakerism. God, I love to talk about -isms!

Though I have only been to a handful of Episcopalian worship services, my immediate reaction to the pomp - the sights and smells of worship - was one of sheer spiritual ecstacy. In worshiping a God as grand as He/She is, I cannot fathom there being too much pagentry in the process. The stained glass, the incense, the garments, the community of it all! Episcopalian worship takes my breath away, and leaves my feeling as if I have truly encountered the faceless, mysterious God.

Pantheism, though often at odds with Christian doctrine, has found a deep place in my heart as well. My recent subscription to ecopsychology (the topic of my dissertation) has even furthered that place. It seems evident to me that everything is somehow interconnected, and that the smallest action in one place effects other things elsewhere. I have always been a monist as well, which presented problems when I felt the need to belive in the Trinity. I see the earth as the body of God. Most characteristics that has traditionally been assigned to God can also be assigned to the earth & the universe (i.e. omnipresence, omnipotence, creativity, etc). Nature has been a sanctuary to me more times than I can remember, producing feelings of awe, inadequacy, and love simultaneously.

Modern Quakerism probably has more in common with pantheism than with Episcopalianism. Quakers believe in three main things that resonate with my S(s)pirit: the Inner Light in each individual, the value of listening, and a commitment to pacifism. Whereas I relish the ornate worship of the Episcopal church, I also find deep meaning simply in the practice of being still and listening to the Spirit within. Each person, as part of creation and a part of God, has the ability to hear the voice of God within. The gospel of John tells us that Light entered the world, and this Light is the Light of men. Quakers also take the teachings of Jesus seriously about loving neighbor as self, the neighbors being our fellow human beings.

So, I'm an EPQ, at least for the time being. I treasure parts of each of these traditions, and find additional meaning outside of these traditions. The journey continues....

Peace & Blessings.

5 comments:

Danifesto said...

Ah if only there was a fellowship that spoke to all three! However a fellowship of ONE isn't the "two or three gathered in my name" so sometimes we have to make allowances for differences in the services we attend. I know I've often wondered if there is such a thing as THE ONE when it comes to churches! :)
Great post! Nice to have you back and good luck on your dissertation!

Anonymous said...

This was the first link that came upon "Googling" Quaker/Episcopalian! I am an Episcopalian, and have recently attended several Quaker meetings-both the silent service, and pastoral service. I have been wondering "how can I be both?" for weeks.

Today the pastor at the Quaker Meeting told me about some people "up North" who considered themselves both- and so I feel a precedent has been set!

Interesting blog; I am a returning student, and do not have time to blog...yet!

Good luck with your dissertation!

Stephanie

Christina Wible said...

I just came across your blog this evening. An Episcopalian by birth, and ordained clergy in that church I have also been attending Quaker Meeting since the late 1970's. Someone said I had "a foot in each pew." I find the two groups compliment each other in a way that is difficult to explain but good for my soul. When I need "balancing" from the various exegencies of being in the Episcopal Church I run to my Meeting where I am greeted with love and filled by the silence.

Lately I have been exploring how the Episcopal Church can be a home for post-moderns who want the vintage services we provide but who are baffled by the church polity and ponderousness of our structure.

Good luck on your studies.

Christina
http://aunteller.blogspot.com/

the jen said...

I believe that faith and religion should evolve just as life and learning evolve. Incorporating elements of other denominations and fellowships, to me, is perfectly reasonable. I am baptised Episcopalian (which I didn't do until my 20s), but I find that pantheism and the Quakers make sense and enrich my personal relationship with religion and God as well.

Btw- I found your blog after writing a relatively long rant on my own. I hope you don't mind me following! :D

Anonymous said...

check out the modern essenes. www.essene.com You might find all of what you seek with one group. Good luck. http://www.essene.com/BasicBeliefs.html